Monday, April 27, 2009

Well, that's one tiny problem solved

As alert readers of this space will recall, Heidi and I both got iPhones about a year ago.  Something that's been driving me crazy is the device name of the two phones: in both iTunes and on the phones themselves, they list their names as what I was expecting; "Gabriel's Phone" and "Heidi's Phone".  On the network, however, (for example, inside the router) they're both listed as "HEIDI-S-PHONE".

That's... a little suboptimal.

So, I finally did a little digging today, and turned up the fact that network devices can't have an apostrophie in the name.  "Aha," I said to myself, said I,"let's try something here."

A quick edit later, and "Gabriel Phone" was suddenly showing up in all the right places.

Since that clearly wouldn't work as a name, I needed something new.  Something both without an apostraphie, but grammatically correct.  A proper name of some kind?  What would a good name for a loyal sidekick that was as annoying and rascally as it was helpful.  Obvously, I only had one choice - and named it Floyd.

No comments: