Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Great Moments in TV Watching

Somehow it came to light a few weeks back that Heidi had never seen "Soap," and was, in fact, totally unaware of the program's existence. This was clearly an unacceptable circumstance, so our friend Cristi loaned us her DVDs - which proceeded to sit unwatched until last night.

"If everybody I know thinks this is funny," she says, "I guess I'll try to ignore my judgment of the program based on this cover art."

I'm pretty sure I'd never seen the first episode before, and it was kind of funny watching them try and spin Soap up to speed - and explain to a mid-seventies audience what they're in for.

However. The Great Moment.

The pilot is laboriously introducing the characters, and Jessica finally walks back into the kitchen to talk to her butler.

"Hey, " says Heidi, "That's Benson!"

"Good Morning, Benson!" says Jessica.

I've never seen a draw drop that hard or that fast. Upon learning that this was was the show Benson spun off from, Heidi suddenly became *far* more interested.

2 comments:

Dani In NC said...

Billy Crystal played the first gay character I remember seeing on TV. Did they ever give Soap a true finale or was it just canceled?

Gabe and/or Heidi Helman said...

Me too on Billy Crystal now that I think about it.

I was assuming that Soap must have wrapped things up, but after a visit to Wiki, it turns out I was wrong. It ended on a cliffhanger, with, among other things, Jessica about to be executed by a communist firing line.

And then I was all - oh, right. I blocked that all out. It's all a blur after Burt got kidnapped by aliens.